New Book Alert: Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic
To be human, means that inherent to our existence, we have a creative, living life force. It manifests itself differently in every individual. This creative impulse living in each of us has been described as ‘strange jewels’ in Elizabeth Gilbert’s new book, Big Magic. It’s an interesting idea, if you think about it long enough, it almost brings to mind the picture Disney’s Aladdin stumbling upon his magic lamp in the Cave of Wonders. Like Aladdin, we can find some incredible things within our individual selves if only we’re willing to be intentional and introspective in our search.
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear seeks to explain to the reader, how to live a creative life and overcome the fear that often comes along with diving blindly, into the direction of our dreams. Across the pages, Gilbert allows us a glimpse into her vulnerability by sharing, in what I find to be a very honest voice, the struggles and triumphs that have colored her world this far.
The book is laced with personal anecdotes that make the reading experience more relatable. She explains what she refers to as the ‘essential ingredients’ to unlocking creativity, that help fight fear and other stumbling blocks that affect our imagination. Her guide is both engaging and practical, and she manages to inspire without being cliché.’
Here are 13 quotes from Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic that will help you pursue your creative curiosities and passions:
On Overcoming Fear
• “So take your insecurities and your fears and hold them upside down by their ankles and shake yourself free of all your cumbersome ideas about what you require (and how much you need to pay) in order to become creatively legitimate.”
• “This is a world, not a womb. You can look after yourself in this world while looking after your creativity at the same time — just as people have done for ages.” “If you’re alive, you’re a creative person.”
On Choosing Creativity
• “I told the universe (and anyone who would listen) that I was committed to living a creative life not in order to save the world, not as an act of protect, not to become famous, not to gain entrance to the canon, not to challenge the system, not to show the bastards, not to prove to my family that I was worthy, not as a form of deep therapeutic emotional catharsis … but simply because I liked it.”
• “And since creativity is still the most effective way for me to access wonder, I choose it.”
• “Ideas of every kind are constantly galloping toward us, constantly pass through us, constantly trying to get our attention.”
• “Your own reasons to create are reason enough. Merely by pursuing what you love, you may inadvertently end up helping us plenty.”
• “Seduce the Big Magic and it will always come back to you.”
On The Benefits Of A Creative Life
• “A creative life is an amplified life. It’s a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life.”
• “…it’s all kind of amazing—what we get to do, what we get to attempt, what we sometimes get to commune with.”
• “Pure creativity is something better than a necessity; it’s a gift. It’s the frosting. Our creativity is a wild and unexpected bonus from the universe.
• “Through the mere act of creating something—anything—you might inadvertently produce work that is magnificent, eternal, or important”
Big Magic and other titles by Elizabeth Gilbert are available at Text Book Centre. You can also buy them online via this link.